Visual Studio 2008 has been localized into Arabic, Czech, Hebrew, Hindi, Polish, Tamil, Turkish, Malayalam and Oriya as a free “CLIP” download package.
“CLIP” stand for “Captions Language Interface Pack”. It’s basically an add-on with localized user interface that you install on top of the English version of Visual Studio. The CLIP package allows you to see translations of menus, button and so on as tooltips when running Visual Studio.
It’s designed for users who use the English version, but want to see the most common user interface in their own language as well.
The translations in the CLIP package are a joint-effort between Microsoft and local communities.
When you hover your mouse over a menu or command, a separate box (or a tooltip depending on your setup) will display the translation in the local language. You can also add your own translation for user interface items.
Just Like a Magic:
A smart way from Microsoft. CLIP gets Microsoft not to provide another copies from itâ€™s products for native languages (e.g. Arabic, Turkish). But, The downward side is that CLIP isnâ€™t specific for Visual Studio 2008 or even any product! CLIP is for everything. Just point in a word and CLIP checks the dictionary and returns itâ€™s equivalent in the selected language.
Thatâ€™s may be OK for many users using many applications in English. But, If you consider using it for VS2008 itâ€™ll be really useless. Because of, these CLIP packages contain only the common words (like, File, Edit, View). However, It doesnâ€™t contain the translation of such words, as a simple example, â€˜Consoleâ€™!!!
Source: Microsoft Terminology Blog
- Links to standalone .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 core and language pack installer packages
- Visual Studio 2010’s New Look Unveiled at VSLive!
- Great Visual Studio 2010 Wallpapers, Logos, and Color Schemes
- A Short Speech about Unions
- An extensive list of .NET-aware languages
- Converting between color decimal and hexadecimal representation
- Understanding Value Types and Reference Types
- Configuring ASP.NET with IIS